Friday, October 21, 2011

A little fun...

I did an extra journal page this week after learning how to draw the whole body. The polar bear pet is copied from a stamp. The page is down with acrylic paints and coloured pencils.

The snowflakes didn't stamp very well using the stazon white ink so I went over some of them with a white pen. Enjoy.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

ATCs my way

My ATCs this week may look a little plain to some. I often see them around the net with a lot of different elements on each card. I like to give my images a little breathing room, especially if the background is an interesting technique. 
This week I used molding paste or fiber paste to make a textured background. This was then painted when dry and rubbed with Inka Gold creams to highlight the texture. It is an interesting look.
Fiber paste applied with a stencil brush.

Molding paste applied with a stencil brush

Molding paste applied lightly with a paint brush then more applied through sequin waste to make the stars.
 The images were supplied by my atc teacher so I don't know where she got them from. They are lovely though.

Monday, October 17, 2011

What an incredible journey!!

I feel so lucky to have found Jane Davenport's website through a casual comment somebody else made about her on their blog. I looked for myself and thought how wonderful it all was so signed up for her newsletter. Only a couple of months later she announced her online class and I decided to take the plunge and sign up. It was the best decision I have made for a long time. I have been having such a blast over there and learning so much. I feel like my art has come a long way in just 6 weeks so far.

This week was pastels week. At the end of the week I have completed this page using oil pastels, acrylic paints and coloured pencils. I am quite happy with the idea although the drawings could have been a little better. That will come with practice.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

One journey ends...

...and another begins. I went to my last art journal class at a local scrapbooking store yesterday. I have slowly come to the conclusion that I am no longer learning anything new there and it is time to move on.  The last two pages I did there are done with embossed focal images.

 I have been having so much fun with the Supplies Me online course that I am going to continue with online classes for a while. I have learned so much in the past 6 weeks. Anything that makes me bounce around with happiness for days on end is a wonderful journey that I am pleased to be taking. If you want to join in then the link is in the side bar. This is my latest page for the course. It is done with waterbased brush markers.
I am very happy with the way I have developed artistically so far. Here is a face I drew a couple of months before starting the course. There is a big improvement so far.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011


I have been doing a lot of drawing lately. These pages are just some drawings I have been doing while pretending to watch television with my hubby. He likes me to be in the same room but I like to keep my hands and mind creating so I have a little table to work on.

The fairies just grew out of the background for this page.

The closeup shows the iridescent gold paint I used for the wings. It is one of the H2O watercolours.

This picture started with the pink dots that were all over the page because I had used pink paint on the previous page. I liked the effect and decided to keep it. This girl has a very narrow face and to me looks a little pensive.

This face was done in the style of some of the other artists on the Supplies Me course. I wanted to see if I could do something similar.  I was able to do it but I think I prefer the way I make the eyes rounder. I guess I am developing a style of my own. 

Sunday, October 2, 2011

New journal pages

I have been creating a lot of art for the Supplies Me course I am doing. This has had a flow on effect with my other art as well. This week was catch up week at Supplies Me so I have been able to catch up with a lot of other projects as well.

I made this page using one of my textured gesso experiments that I made when I was trying out different papers and colours for a painting I had in mind. I ended up doing something else for the painting but think these experiments could lead to a modern style painting.

I like the tiles I made from the one page of textured gesso. I think it would make a great picture on a larger scale, especially when framed with a mat.

A close up so you can see the texture more.

This next page was originally done with my art journal friends. It didn't work out the way I wanted initially so I brought it home to think about. I put the original page onto a larger background that had been painted and coloured with glimmer mist sprays. The original is collaged papers that have been embossed with with embossing powders. The dots are ink applied through a stencil then embossed. Hem tape is heated on the paper then, when still hot embossing powder is melted on. After the embossing is done for texture the whole page is coloured with paints and sprays. I drew on the face with alcohol markers and coloured it lightly with twinkling H2Os.  The dragonflies are stamped on and highlighted with marker.

The second page was the one I originally had ruined. I cut out all the bits of the page I didn't like and threw them away. I was left with these varied tiles. I edged them all with embossing and then used Stazon ink to stamp some images on them. I stitched them onto the background. At least I got to save the parts that I did like.