Thursday, June 9, 2011

A new art journal

I have decided to make a new art journal to put the small experimental sketches and art works that I make before I make a larger piece. It should be a useful resource of things that worked and the ones that didn't.


Step 1: I started with this piece of scrapbook paper that I thought would be a little too busy for photos.


Step 2: I used a natural sponge to dab gesso all over the page allowing some of the original color to show through. When it was dry I used some Moon Shadow Inks to color the page.


Step 3: I thought there was too much detail still showing through so I gave it another coat of gesso with the sea sponge. When dry I again applied the inks.


Step 4: I was happier with the look now.I flicked on some of the inks in big blotches. I dried some of these with a heat gun so they would have a brown edge. If you let it dry naturally the glittery color is more even.

 Step 5: the final page has a couple of bird silhouettes that are scrapbooking rub ons. The quote is white gel pen and chipboard letters that have been colored with metallic stamp inks. I used Colorbox Micamagic.The word ART was embossed in a cuttlebug machine.  I then used a silver metallic thread to do some free motion stitching on the page. It is a little hard to see. There are small green diamantes glued on next to the stitching.

3 comments:

  1. this is an interesting tecnique that i am going to try thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is an interesting tecnique that i am going to try thank you

    ReplyDelete