Sunday, April 28, 2019

My art is on my sleeve

I am travelling to London soon so I wanted a jacket to take with me. I was unable to find one that suited my needs so I decided to make one. I thought I should put some of my textile art on the jacket so this is what I did.



I chose a regular jacket pattern and altered it for my own purposes. I used my machine to draw the flowers on the sleeves and also the large front pockets (big enough for a phone to not fall out). I used a dress making marker to draw the flower centers where I wanted them to be so they weren't all in one straight line. Then I used my machine to stitch the stems and petals free hand. It was a lot of fun and I am happy with the way it turned out.


I can truly say that I am wearing my Art on my sleeve, now.

 
Another quick project I made was a new camera bag. Yes I still use a camera and not just my phone for quality photos. I wanted a cover that fit exactly so it didn't take up too much room in my bag.



I went through my stash and found a piece of suede leather that would be suitable for a camera case and soft enough to stitch by hand. I looked through a pile of leftover textile pieces I have made to use as decorations for my case. I used some heat transfer foil on the bag and also glued on a few leftover textured bits. I hand embroidered these pieces to the leather to make them secure.


 I used a piece of velour for the lining as it would be soft and not scratch the camera. When all the stitching was finished I went over everything with a couple of coats of matte medium to stop them wearing out too quickly. This made the suede look like leather now and it is very tough. I am happy  with my travel projects and am looking forward to finding lots of textile art to admire in London.

1 comment: