Monday, August 31, 2020

Wowbook 4

 Wowbook 4 was published in June 2019 and I did a few of the workshops that were in it. I love how many different techniques and ideas there are in the WOW books.  You can find them at wowbook.d4daisy.com . I think they are good value when you also join the members area for that book as there are always extra workshops (usually 4 or 5) there.

This aerial piece was inspired by a Maggie Grey workshop. I went in a different direction when my original piece was not working out. When my husband and I flew across Australia last year we had sunny weather so could actually see the landscape below for a change. I was amazed by all the different coloured lakes we could see in South Western Australia. 

This concertina book was a workshop by Amanda Hislop. There was a lot of printing on different papers using several methods. It was then compiled into a picture that could be machine stitched. 

You can see the detail of the stitching on the reverse.

This piece is my version of the Kathleen Laurel Sage workshop using plastic. Everything was painted on plastic then cut out and stitched to a fabric background. I used some prints I made for the background. I took 2 photos because the shiny plastic reflections hid some of the detail. 

These two were made using prints of photos as demonstrated by Sandra Meech's workshop. The black and white version was extended beyond the paper onto a fabric background to make it bigger. Neither landscape is real but pieces of images put together to make a picture.

 This was a workshop by Wendy Dolan. It was designed to show you how to use a building or other object to design a piece. I chose to use photos I took of the Natural History Museum in London for my inspiration. The flowers are a stained glass window there, the odd sized bricks and wrought iron designs are from the exterior and gates. I enjoyed this workshop a lot as design is one of my main focuses in art.

My next piece was meant to be done with Solarfast dyes but it was winter when I tried this and they didn't really work so I took a shortcut and printed the fabrics using my computer. I used photos of my house and garden for all the images and printed them in blue to resemble the same effect you would get with the dye. I will be trying this again in summer using the dyes again. Fingers crossed it works...

2 comments:

  1. These are all amazing. I feel I have learned and done so much, and then I see these. So interesting. Thanks for the inspiration today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynda. I thought I knew a lot until I started getting the Wowbooks and realised there is always something else to learn or a different approach that makes me see things in a new light.

      Delete