Thursday, December 20, 2018

Adding texture to textiles

I have a new video about adding texture to your textile work. If you want to see it larger on YouTube click on this link: artygirl2010 video.




The technique is quite simple using any art mediums you have. You can add colour or other items to the gels and pastes then spread them on your fabrics using a palette knife or brush. I used both natural and synthetic fibers and they both worked, some colour reacted differently on the fabrics and mediums. I did a lot of experimenting with the different mediums I own. I did a sample of each of the things I tried, noting down what they were. I then hand stitched, machine stitched and machine stitched with metallic thread on each of the samples so I could get an idea of how hard they were to stitch into. I also did a blue stripe of fabric paint and another stripe of turquoise acrylic paint to see how it handled the colour.

As mentioned in the video I am putting photos here of all the samples I shared. Click on each photo if you want to see a close up photo.
 









Teabag paper
Tyvek melted with a heat gun

Dress pattern and sand texture
Dress pattern reverse
Lutrador with stencilled texture paste melted with heat gun.

Some of the other samples I shared in the video are these ones where I added Dylusions Turquoise spray to the mediums before I spread them on the fabric.

 This first photo is the leftover bits of medium I spread onto scrap fabric and sprayed during the video. You can see the variety of colours that showed up. I also rubbed a very small amount of copper wax in a few areas to highlight the texture.


 This is another sample from the video where the colour was mixed into the mediums first. I have since sprayed turquoise mica spray on some squares. I also painted copper acrylic paint on the back of the corner squares so it would not colour the texture on the front of those sections. The lower middle textures have metallic wax rubbed onto the texture.


This is the fiber paste sample I made during the video with copper acrylic painted on the reverse side when it had dried. I did all of these small pieces so I could cut them up for a larger project.



In this trial layout I have used all of the above samples including the larger leftovers piece. I used a lettering stencil to trace and cut out the letters from the leftover piece. As I started to embellish and stitch each square for my piece I did change the layout many times until I was happy with how it looked.


The finished piece has a lot of hand stitching, beads, stones and jewelry findings. It was for my textile group's colour challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment