Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Book of days

I found a link to the Book of days project that has been set up by Effy Wild and decided to sign up.  I thought her art looked great and it would be another year long project that will force me to make art journal pages on a regular basis.  I watched a whole weeks worth of videos and realised it may be a little more involved than I thought. I am still going to do the book but instead of a book of days, mine will be a book of weeks. That way I only need to get one spread done per week, maybe two spreads when I have extra time.

I was going to put Book of Days on the cover but after watching the video just put the word ART on there instead. The cover was painted with lumieres, collaged, more lumieres, texture paste applied through a flower stencil and then the whole thing was sprayed with various Moonglow brand Starburst sprays for colour. I went over the word with Smooch Ink because it didn't stand out enough.

My inside cover page has a pocket like Effy showed us. I used my word for the year, Learn. It was painted with Golden fluid acrylics applied randomly. I then used copper coloured Brilliance ink to stamp the compasses. They didn't stand out enough so I overstamped them with brown Stazon. I stamped the large butterflies and words with Stazon too. I used Tim Holtz tape that I coloured with a little vintage paper distress ink because it looked too bright.

The next page I did was the first one for the year. I painted a large face on the first page. My altered book is an old gymnastics book I have. I didn't want the text to show through the acrylic paint too much so I gave the face two coats of paint but kept it light enough to allow me to see the sketch underneath.

I painted the background with a mixture of gesso and green paint. The leaves and dragonflies were added with stencils and paint dabbers, then I went over them with water for a washed look.

Finally I spritzed on some glimmer mist for colour and finished off the face with coloured pencils. I used watercolour markers for the numbers so I could spray them with water to make the colour run. The quote was glued in.

No comments:

Post a Comment