Friday, April 13, 2012

Derwent product testing

I was able to try out some new to me products at a local art store demonstration the other day. They were the Derwent Art Bar. It is a watercolour crayon that is triangle shaped. I was keen to see how well they worked as I have used the Caran D'ache Neocolor watercolor wax crayons in the past.

I was given some pastel paper to work on and drew a face. It is the first time I have drawn a face in public like that and I was very nervous. I used the Art Bar to draw the face and colour it as well. It took a little while to get used to the triangular shape but I liked the way the crayons went on. They are very soft and creamy. When I had a rough sketch I used a water filled paintbrush to blend the colour. It was a lot easier to blend than the Neocolors and looks a lot smoother. I only had to run the water over the top of the crayon and it spread like traditional watercolour. 

I could see so many possibilities for these wonderful sticks of colour that I wanted some for myself. Alas they won't be available in this country until July so I have decided to ask my Hubby to get them for me at Christmas. That way I can get the big set of 72 colors and don't have to feel guilty about it.

I will finish the face with pencils and add it to one of my journals. I like it too much to throw it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment