Thursday, July 7, 2011

Recipe book covers

I have had some little folders for recipes that I collect out of magazines for a long time now. They are white with pockets on the cover to hold a picture. I have been meaning to paint something to go in there for a few years now. The other day when I picked up the wrong book for the umpteenth time, I decided I had to finally get around to finishing off the covers.
Front Cover

I went through some magazines looking for some pictures of food that I could use. 
I used watercolor canvas for the surface because that was in my cupboard. I am trying to use up a lot of my stash at the moment. I painted the background with acrylic paints but it looked a little flat so I then sprayed them with glimmer mist. I then drew on the pictures and colored them  with pencils. They didn't blend as much as I would have liked but for some reason it looks worse in the photo.
Back cover
I had to stitch the finished canvases onto cardboard before slipping them into the pockets because the canvas warped when I painted it.  It adds a little texture to the edge so it turned out okay in the end. One cover done, two more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment